Chrome users: This site IS secure!

The HUMMER Network
Home of the famous HML

Hummer Marketplace | Hummer Knowledge Base
Donate | FB | Hummer Calendar | YouTube Channel

The Hummer Network
THE Place for Hummer Owners Since 1996
Over 20 years of dedication.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GuidelinesForum Rules   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hummer Blogs and Themed Forums thoughts and ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icentropy
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Hummer Blogs and Themed Forums thoughts and ideas Reply with quote

Clicked on that link for the first time ever, i thought it was just a list of user's personal blogs. Then i see it was setup to have your own hummer blog on the forum! Hey that's a cool idea. Everyone can have their own Hummer build blog documenting their build and trucks use in a easy to reference format where stuff doesn't get lost in a 100 "help" posts.

Alas when i went to register to see how it would work....it doesn't? Ran a search for "Blogs" to see when it was disabled but nothing came up. I also just noticed that part of the Regional Forums section is also for Themed forums!

There's a lot of good ideas that probably fail due to people having never even clicked on the link. I know I'm guilty of basically sticking to the H1 forum for the last 3 years and only now am i starting to look around to see what else is on the Hummer Network.

Two suggestions
1. If the blogs are easily enabled, i would. it sounds like a great tool for documentation. Maybe call them Build Blogs?

or a better idea

2. Start a forum for build threads only under the themed forums and move the current build threads located on the H1 list over to the Hummer Build Forum (a post on the H1 forum asking build thread owners to contact you with their build thread would work).

The Hall of Hummers, other rides and off topic forums should also be located in the themed section. That will get people to scroll down and look at what else is available.

There are forums that basically never get used such as the Regional forums. I'm in CA and no one ever seems to use/post or read it. No one wants to limit their audience to just the folks that read the regional forum.

You did label them as Regional or Themed, but it seems any theme that isn't 100% hummer related isn't welcomed, such as a Prepping or an Expedition themed forum. I know there are better forums one web for that like "Expedition portal" or "WhenSHTF" but i think the point of having themed forums in the Hummer Network is to give a place for like minded Hummer enthusiasts and owners (mostly owners) to talk about other topics while still remaining on the Hummer Network. Also most of the discussion will include how to modify Hummers specifically for Expeditions or prepping.

Even a member skills themed forum where people can post their skills they're willing to use for the occasional benefit of forum. Such as my machining, or Lee's lasering, lots of guys have manufacturing, software, fabrication, engineering, etc. skills and many would be willing to post what they do for a living and if they'd be willing to use those resources/skills either directly or just give advice to other members that maybe are looking to learn them.

1994 HMC4 lots of mods (rear-steer)
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hummer Blogs site is not in-house. It's an outside site operated by an HML member, Clark, who is busy re-building his truck. Contact him for suggestions or problems.

It seems like 99% of forum users never see anything beyond the H1 forum. It is a bit frustrating because I have spent a great deal of time and effort providing resources that go largely unnoticed. The local/regional/themed forums are potentially a great resource, but only if users notice that they are there. Adding more forums or resources wouldn't make much sense if no one will notice them. Moving forums around wouldn't help. If people don't notice them in one place, they won't notice them in another.

A feature that was once added was an advertiser forum. I've seen these on other forums where they've worked well, a place for advertisers to post specials, answer questions, etc. It went nowhere here. It was finally removed due to inactivity.

I have probably visited hundreds of forums. The very first thing I do when I visit one is scroll down the main page to see what is there. For some inexplicable reason, people don't seem to do that here. It took you over 3 years, and you're a rare exception because you finally did so. You are to be commended for actually finding the forum-related questions forum.

icentropy
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
The Hummer Blogs site is not in-house. It's an outside site operated by an HML member, Clark, who is busy re-building his truck. Contact him for suggestions or problems.

It seems like 99% of forum users never see anything beyond the H1 forum. It is a bit frustrating because I have spent a great deal of time and effort providing resources that go largely unnoticed. The local/regional/themed forums are potentially a great resource, but only if users notice that they are there. Adding more forums or resources wouldn't make much sense if no one will notice them. Moving forums around wouldn't help. If people don't notice them in one place, they won't notice them in another.

A feature that was once added was an advertiser forum. I've seen these on other forums where they've worked well, a place for advertisers to post specials, answer questions, etc. It went nowhere here. It was finally removed due to inactivity.

I have probably visited hundreds of forums. The very first thing I do when I visit one is scroll down the main page to see what is there. For some inexplicable reason, people don't seem to do that here. It took you over 3 years, and you're a rare exception because you finally did so. You are to be commended for actually finding the forum-related questions forum.

I can sure see how it can be frustrating. Especially the H2 and H3 forums. But I'm not so sure about the following:

"Adding more forums or resources wouldn't make much sense if no one will notice them. Moving forums around wouldn't help. If people don't notice them in one place, they won't notice them in another."

it's all about mind share and product placement. Very Happy There's no difference between a forum and a grocery store. The more interesting the products and the better they're arranged the more likely people are to start going through all the isles instead of just the ones they're used to. Also I'm not sure how long it's been since the forums were created or revamped but Change is also an instigator for people to start poking around and looking to see if anything is different or new.

Looking to see what type of threads go long is a clear indicator about what people find interesting or worth talking about. Build threads are the King as far as that goes. People love to see the progress of a truck from beginning through the years to the end. Having a Build Only Forum would allow those builds to not get lost amongst the day-to-day conversations and questions. From what i can tell the only other fourm that gets reasonable use is the Off-topic forum. Hall of Hummers gets a little and so does other rides (kinda). Moving those to the Themed section would get the guys that frequent those forums to move their eyes to the themed area and see what's there. Course right now there's nothing there but CA regional and it seems fairly clear that regional forums aren't being used.

I am curious as to what kind of forums you expected to see or add to the Themed forums category?

Also something else I just noticed is that out of 15 total forums/selections that people can make on the list 8 of them are for help/FAQ/Admin/testing purposes. Moving the Regional/Themed forum section up right under the Hummer Forums would help, and keeping all 8 of the help/admin forums/categories in one place below the forums you expect people to use day-to-day and perhaps consolidating them to the smallest amount of admin/help forums possible to get the job done will de-clutter the page and make the forums that are left stand out more.

Also just to be clear I'm just sharing some of my observations that might help accomplish your desire for people to start poking around and using more of the site. I'm a massive fan of the HummerNetwork and I'm not complaining in any way. Very Happy

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running the HML for nearly 16 years. I just might know what I'm talking about. Laughing Over the years I've considered just about everything. What you see here is the result of all those years of experience.

You can't generalize about forums and apply that to the HML. Forums are communities and they differ from one another. What works on one might not work on another.

One mailing list can only be connected to one forum. Breaking the H1 forum up into other forums, such adding a build forum, would leave out mailing list users. That's why forums must be general in nature here.

I had no expectations for the local/regional/themed forums. That's why a request forum was provided rather than setting up forums initially.

The lack of activity in the H2 and H3 forums is not due to placement. It's due to the tremendous amount of hate that comes from the H1 people toward those models. People can't be blamed for not hanging around where they're hated.

The H1 forum is the important one and the reason this forum exists. If people don't see other forums and features, so what? I'm not about to beat my head against the wall over it.

The HML has been very successful for a very long time. There has never been a time when it hasn't been growing. New people sign up every day and the HML is more active today than ever. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

icentropy
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
I have been running the HML for nearly 16 years. I just might know what I'm talking about. Laughing Over the years I've considered just about everything. What you see here is the result of all those years of experience.

You can't generalize about forums and apply that to the HML. Forums are communities and they differ from one another. What works on one might not work on another.

One mailing list can only be connected to one forum. Breaking the H1 forum up into other forums, such adding a build forum, would leave out mailing list users. That's why forums must be general in nature here.

I had no expectations for the local/regional/themed forums. That's why a request forum was provided rather than setting up forums initially.

The lack of activity in the H2 and H3 forums is not due to placement. It's due to the tremendous amount of hate that comes from the H1 people toward those models. People can't be blamed for not hanging around where they're hated.

The H1 forum is the important one and the reason this forum exists. If people don't see other forums and features, so what? I'm not about to beat my head against the wall over it.

The HML has been very successful for a very long time. There has never been a time when it hasn't been growing. New people sign up every day and the HML is more active today than ever. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Absolutely, this is the best and most active forum I've been a part of and that's especially amazing considering the amount of Hummers made. Again, not criticizing in any way, just ideas and observations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: