Chrome users: This site IS secure!

The HUMMER Network
Home of the famous HML

Hummer Marketplace | Hummer Knowledge Base
Donate | FB | Hummer Calendar | YouTube Channel

The Hummer Network
THE Place for Hummer Owners Since 1996
Over 20 years of dedication.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GuidelinesForum Rules   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hummer network APP.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pguy
Driver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackberrys are terrible web devices, their operating system sucks. I got fed up and caved to coworker's pressure and got an iphone. Best move I ever made. Forum access is no problem, I even have it opening to the index.
Gulf1
Cranky Old Fart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works even better on the larger screen of an iPad.
Expendable
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works good on my moto droid
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many report problems with Blackberries for internet use in general. There's a mailing list user who uses a Blackberry to post via e-mail and it screws up quoted text. One line will be quoted, but not the next, the next will be and so on. It will also chop lines in half.

I'm sorry but I cannot re-invent the Blackberry and there's nothing I can do to make them work better with either the forum or the mailing list. Complaints should be directed to the makers of Blackberry.

Other devices appear to work just fine as long as they have a decent web browser and operating system.

Also, right now is crunch time for the Hummer Calendar. I'm already behind on it. I cannot take on another project at this time.

dunsbr
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

As I indicated from the beginning, this isn't a major complaint in any way, but I just thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware.

Being blissfully unaware of how phpBB works, and seeing other forums using this software working fine on the BlackBerry, I thought it might be a simple fix.

But I do seem to remember some comments you made awhile ago about not moving to the newer version of phpBB due to loosing mailing list functionality.

Cheers

Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive, Eaton e-lockers, Cepek shocks,12k m/cyl & 12k Hydraboost)
dunsbr
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pguy wrote:
Blackberrys are terrible web devices, their operating system sucks. I got fed up and caved to coworker's pressure and got an iphone. Best move I ever made. Forum access is no problem, I even have it opening to the index.

But, the Blackberry system is much more secure for data transmission and also its data compression is better.

I use my phone for business which often requires secure data transfer and international travel (read data roaming costs) and so the Blackberry suits me.

I tell my ipad toting friends "Just wait until Skynet goes active and all the Apple products turn against their owners.... Then it will be just John Connor and I on our Blackberries defending the world against the Applebots!” Laughing

Cheers

Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive, Eaton e-lockers, Cepek shocks,12k m/cyl & 12k Hydraboost)
dunsbr
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulf1 wrote:
It works even better on the larger screen of an iPad.

and on my Blackberry Playbook too.

Cheers

Humvee21
Spotter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Blackberry Bold 9000 then I switched to an HTC EVO 4G that runs Android. I agree, Blackberries are terrible browsing devices. However, I found a better browser called Opera for the Blackberry and it worked fine for me when I had it. Now, my Android device browses the forum with ease on its stock browser.

If you have a Blackberry, try the browser called Opera.

dunsbr
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Humvee 21.

I downloaded Opera and now I can get the threads with pics! Cool

Cheers

zippy-man
Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phpBB 2.0 is very old. PhpBB has stopped support for it 3 years ago. When it was coded mobile browsers were not as great as they are now. phpBB 3.x is much more updated and is compatible with tapatalk away well as mobile themes that make using forums in a mobile device easy and nice.

Upgrading the forum to a newer version is not a very hard task either. It does add new features that people may not use but some will. It is better to have a feature there and not use it then to not have it at all. Kinda like runflats. Or just mostly Hummer in general.

The forums here are great don't get me wrong and I know there are more important things to be done but it really would be great to get a few new features.

Maybe some day down the road.

I have been looking and testing things with phpBB 2.x for any kind of mobile theme or application support but it is all difficult to implement on the old software.

Humvee21
Spotter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunsbr wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Humvee 21.

I downloaded Opera and now I can get the threads with pics! Cool

Cheers

You're welcome. Did that work for replies too?

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippy-man wrote:
phpBB 2.0 is very old. ...
Upgrading the forum to a newer version is not a very hard task either.

This should be a separate discussion. I might split it into one, but there are a lot of demands on my time right now. It's too bad an important piece of information, about using Opera on a Blackberry, has been lost in the shuffle. I'll add that to the Help/How-To section if I can find the time.

The problem is actually with the third-party add-on software that accomplishes mailing list integration. It's called Mail2form or m2f.

http://mail2forum.com/

It has never been updated to be compatible with version 3 of phpbb. They started on a new version of m2f, which would be compatible with phpbb3, at least 3 years ago. They got as far as a first alpha release, then abandoned it. Nothing was done for at least 2 years. Then, last February, they announced they were going to resume work on it. Nothing has been done since. The alpha release is incomplete and has bugs, so is not usable in the real world.

Again, this is crunch time for the calendar. Few probably realize how very complicated it is to publish a calendar. There are a gazillion details, each of which has to be chased down, organized, then double-checked and triple-checked. I've never kept track of how many hundreds of hours I put into it each year. I don't want to know. Time is important when creating a calendar and I MUST GET IT DONE ON TIME. There has been a f*** of distractions over the past week or two, so I'm behind on it.

At some point in the future I will research options again as I have done several times in the past. It really sucks that the m2f people just abandoned their users. I will not do the same by abandoning the many die-hard mailing list users which include some of the HML's best contributors. Many of them have stated that they would not participate if there wasn't the mailing list.

It's not like I'm too lazy to upgrade the forum software. It's quite the opposite. I've put countless hours into trying to find a solution. In the meantime, the present system works well.

I am dropping out of this discussion at this point. I have a lot of work to do.

zippy-man
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
zippy-man wrote:
phpBB 2.0 is very old. ...
Upgrading the forum to a newer version is not a very hard task either.

This should be a separate discussion. I might split it into one, but there are a lot of demands on my time right now. It's too bad an important piece of information, about using Opera on a Blackberry, has been lost in the shuffle. I'll add that to the Help/How-To section if I can find the time.

The problem is actually with the third-party add-on software that accomplishes mailing list integration. It's called Mail2form or m2f.

http://mail2forum.com/

It has never been updated to be compatible with version 3 of phpbb. They started on a new version of m2f, which would be compatible with phpbb3, at least 3 years ago. They got as far as a first alpha release, then abandoned it. Nothing was done for at least 2 years. Then, last February, they announced they were going to resume work on it. Nothing has been done since. The alpha release is incomplete and has bugs, so is not usable in the real world.

Again, this is crunch time for the calendar. Few probably realize how very complicated it is to publish a calendar. There are a gazillion details, each of which has to be chased down, organized, then double-checked and triple-checked. I've never kept track of how many hundreds of hours I put into it each year. I don't want to know. Time is important when creating a calendar and I MUST GET IT DONE ON TIME. There has been a f*** of distractions over the past week or two, so I'm behind on it.

At some point in the future I will research options again as I have done several times in the past. It really sucks that the m2f people just abandoned their users. I will not do the same by abandoning the many die-hard mailing list users which include some of the HML's best contributors. Many of them have stated that they would not participate if there wasn't the mailing list.

It's not like I'm too lazy to upgrade the forum software. It's quite the opposite. I've put countless hours into trying to find a solution. In the meantime, the present system works well.

I am dropping out of this discussion at this point. I have a lot of work to do.

I completely understand the situation. All of us have things to do and time is something that is not always available. I hope you did not take ky post offensive. I am not demanding anything and especially not asking you to drop other things to get this done. I was only hoping that maybe in the future it would be something that you would possibly look into.

I will check out this mailing add on and maybe I can help or find a way for everyone to be happy keeping the mailing working and get mobile support. I in no way want to loose any members by changing something that would really suck.

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippy-man wrote:
I was only hoping that maybe in the future it would be something that you would possibly look into.

I've been looking into it for a good 3 years. A big part of the problem is that the m2f upgrade project is a very ambitious one. They're trying to create an all-encompassing multi-functional software tool that would link all kinds of online communities in all kinds of ways with all kinds of bells and whistles. I've pled with them to just provide basic mailing list integration, the original purpose, for phpbb3. Others have chimed in asking the same. All such requests have been ignored. They'll do it their way or not at all, and for 2 years it's been not at all.

There is no budget to hire professional programmers to do the m2f developers' job for them.

I've pled with mod writers through the phpbb3 mod request forum for someone to step up and fill the void. Again, others have chimed in asking the same thing. Nothing....absolutely nothing.

I found some forum software with add-ons that might accomplish mailing list integration, but it's not free software. In fact, it's expensive and there's no free trial version. There is no budget to purchase expensive software just to see if some add-ons work the way I need them to work. Over the years I have tried many kinds of forum software that claimed to integrate with mailing lists, but they didn't really.

I've done everything I can do. I will keep at it, even though I've run into nothing but brick walls up until now. If there's a way, I will find it.

In the meantime, the present system works.

zippy-man
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
zippy-man wrote:
I was only hoping that maybe in the future it would be something that you would possibly look into.

I've been looking into it for a good 3 years. A big part of the problem is that the m2f upgrade project is a very ambitious one. They're trying to create an all-encompassing multi-functional software tool that would link all kinds of online communities in all kinds of ways with all kinds of bells and whistles. I've pled with them to just provide basic mailing list integration, the original purpose, for phpbb3. Others have chimed in asking the same. All such requests have been ignored. They'll do it their way or not at all, and for 2 years it's been not at all.

There is no budget to hire professional programmers to do the m2f developers' job for them.

I've pled with mod writers through the phpbb3 mod request forum for someone to step up and fill the void. Again, others have chimed in asking the same thing. Nothing....absolutely nothing.

I found some forum software with add-ons that might accomplish mailing list integration, but it's not free software. In fact, it's expensive and there's no free trial version. There is no budget to purchase expensive software just to see if some add-ons work the way I need them to work. Over the years I have tried many kinds of forum software that claimed to integrate with mailing lists, but they didn't really.

I've done everything I can do. I will keep at it, even though I've run into nothing but brick walls up until now. If there's a way, I will find it.

In the meantime, the present system works.

Understood.

I am going to keep reading and see of there is anything I can find out.

Easiest option would be to get something to work with the current phpBB2 so m2f can stay in place and maybe only a mobile theme that would detect mobile browsers so it would be universal. Some of the current add on's and apps are nice but its phpbb3 only and there is almost no one working on anything phpbb2 anymore it seems.

It is a shame that m2f wants to integrate so many other features. It would be cool but it really is slowing down the development with phpbb3 support. I wish I knew php better so I could help with the project. I only know java and I am no pro at it just do it as a hobby sometimes.

I am going to setup a wamp local phpbb2 forum with m2f and do some testing. If I find anything that will help either in phpbb3 or phpbb2 I will post it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: