Chrome users: This site IS secure!

The HUMMER Network
Home of the famous HML

Hummer Marketplace | Hummer Knowledge Base
Donate | FB | Hummer Calendar | YouTube Channel

The Hummer Network
THE Place for Hummer Owners Since 1996
Over 20 years of dedication.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GuidelinesForum Rules   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gulf1
Cranky Old Fart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Spam Reply with quote

I'm sure you've seen this thread, but just in case here's a heads up: http://www.hummernetworkforums.....p?t=227704
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People post links to their own Ebay listings on the HML all the time. If this one is declared "spam", what about the others? Exactly where should the line be drawn?

To me, "spam" is the stuff I deal with every day, trying to sell ED remedies, fake watches, scams to steal passwords, etc., etc. There are hundreds of attempts to send spam to the mailing lists every day. There are Nigerians signing up for the Marketplace all the time. I fight actual spam every single day.

So, why is posting a link to an Ebay listing for Hummer-related items "spam"?

I've seen the reference to item 2 in the Forum Guidelines. The intent of that is to prevent posts of an advertising nature, a post that would read like an ad. A link to an Ebay listing does not qualify as that. If one did, they all would.

Please tell me when an Ebay link is "spam" and when it isn't. Is it "spam" if someone cries "spam", while others are not?

I have to be fair. I cannot declare one post as "spam" when very similar posts are not. I had no problem with this post when I first saw it. It looked like any other link to an Ebay listing. Is the use of colored text what makes it "spam"??

Let's not cry "spam" like the boy who cried "wolf". Actual spam is pretty clearly spam. This is not.

Last edited by Hummer Network on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Gulf1
Cranky Old Fart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
People post links to their own Ebay listings on the HML all the time. If this one is declared "spam", what about the others? Exactly where should the line be drawn?

To me, "spam" is the stuff I deal with every day, trying to sell ED remedies, fake watches, scams to steal passwords, etc., etc. There are hundreds of attempts to send spam to the mailing lists every day. There are Nigerians signing up for the Marketplace all the time. I fight actual spam every single day.

So, why is posting a link to an Ebay listing for Hummer-related items "spam"?

I've seen the reference to item 2 in the Forum Guidelines. The intent of that is to prevent posts of an advertising nature, a post that would read like an ad. A link to an Ebay listing does not qualify as that. If one did, they all would.

Please tell me when an Ebay link is "spam" and when it isn't. Is it "spam" if someone cries "spam", while others are not?

I have to be fair. I cannot declare one post as "spam" when very similar posts are not.

Understood, my definition of spam may not be the same as yours, and yours is the one that ultimately counts, which I respect.

What irked me was that while others post links to their auctions and items for sale, they virtually all also contribute to the forum discussions, and are transparent that the items for sale are theirs.
In this instance all the posts from this member have been of a commercial nature, so it would seem that was his sole purpose in joining.

I wasn't requesting that you take any particular action, just bringing it to your attention in case you hadn't yet seen it.

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulf1 wrote:
Understood, my definition of spam may not be the same as yours, and yours is the one that ultimately counts, which I respect.

What irked me was that while others post links to their auctions and items for sale, they virtually all also contribute to the forum discussions, and are transparent that the items for sale are theirs.
In this instance all the posts from this member have been of a commercial nature, so it would seem that was his sole purpose in joining.

I wasn't requesting that you take any particular action, just bringing it to your attention in case you hadn't yet seen it.

If you think someone is using the HML to promote a business, that's one thing. "Spam" is something else.

I will look at this user's other posts to see if that is the case here. Nothing has stood out to me so far.

I was aware of this because I got a PM about it this morning. I saw no cause for alarm and went golfing.

Gulf1
Cranky Old Fart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bob"]
Gulf1 wrote:
.........I was aware of this because I got a PM about it this morning. I saw no cause for alarm and went golfing.

So you don't monitor the site 24/7? Shocked Very Happy

(I'm sure it feels like it sometimes though!)

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulf1 wrote:
So you don't monitor the site 24/7? Shocked Very Happy

(I'm sure it feels like it sometimes though!)

I meant that I was aware of the accusations of "spam" because I got a PM about it.

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've removed that topic from the forum, more because of all the bitching about it and less because I considered it any kind of abuse of the HML. I looked at the other 3 posts by that individual. One was a link to his own business, but in answer to someone's question about the availability of CARC paint. One was a link to some other site, not his AFAIK, in answer to another question and one was a post that he was looking for HMMWV hoods. The one in question was the ONLY one with a link to an Ebay listing.

How on earth is this considered "spam"??????

Let's not rush to judgement or jump to conclusions, please. I don't know anything about this individual and I am not defending him, but a huge mountain has been made of a molehill here, IMHO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: