Chrome users: This site IS secure!

The HUMMER Network
Home of the famous HML

Hummer Marketplace | Hummer Knowledge Base
Donate | FB | Hummer Calendar | YouTube Channel

The Hummer Network
THE Place for Hummer Owners Since 1996
Over 20 years of dedication.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GuidelinesForum Rules   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum to Mailing List Down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macdaddy082499
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Forum to Mailing List Down? Reply with quote

Is the forum to mailing list function down or is it just a very slow day? I have only received two or three emails from the forum since last night. Just thought I'd alert you to a potential problem.

Thanks
Mac McGregor

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum to Mailing List Down? Reply with quote

macdaddy082499 wrote:
Is the forum to mailing list function down or is it just a very slow day? I have only received two or three emails from the forum since last night. Just thought I'd alert you to a potential problem.

Thanks
Mac McGregor

Neither. It's AOL....again. It has never, ever been mailing-list-friendly and it's up to its tricks again, bouncing all the HML mail since yesterday. We're working on trying to find anything on our end that can get the mail through AOL, but it's not easy. The bounces are temporary, so if they decide to let the HML through again within the next 5 days, you will get a lot of HML messages all at once.

It has been a constant struggle to run a mailing list in spite of AOL for over 13 years. As always, AOL users are urged to use the forum instead of the mailing list.
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did change upstream providers for that server yesterday. The result: more speed and reliability...and AOL bouncing HML mail. We are going over all configurations on our end with a fine-toothed comb searching for anything that might be amiss, but AOL is the only provider having a "problem" with the HML now. We are also going through AOL's trouble-shooting procedures, but finding no problems so far.

It can be really tough to get legitimate mail through AOL's gauntlet. They are notorious for false positives.

If this is not resolved soon, I will send an e-mail to all AOL users on the HML about it. I will have to send it via an Earthlink account to make sure it gets through.

Maybe you can tell I'm no big fan of AOL.
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HML has had a long history of problems with AOL, but has had none in recent years. That's because I once established a contact there, an actual human who worked in the AOL Postmaster Department. He was very nice and got the HML "whitelisted". Now, here's the funny part:

This guy, who worked for AOL's Postmaster Department, used a Yahoo e-mail address.

Does that tell you something?

The last time I e-mailed that guy, I got no response. He may not work for AOL anymore. I am about to try him again.
macdaddy082499
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates Bob. I'm getting very sporadic emails now, but I'm guessing from the volume that it's still not 100%.
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an e-mail from AOL saying the issue has been resolved. I had put in a support request a little earlier.

You should receive all those delayed HML e-mails now.

So, it was them and not us all along. It might just be a matter of a new IP address which has never sent mail into AOL's system before is enough for them to block it? Maybe.
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bounces stopped for a few hours, then started again. The message I got from the AOL Postmaster Dept. saying the issue has been resolved goes on to say "Please allow two business days for delivery to improve.". I'll keep an eye on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: