Chrome users: This site IS secure!

The HUMMER Network
Home of the famous HML

Hummer Marketplace | Hummer Knowledge Base
Donate | FB | Hummer Calendar | YouTube Channel

The Hummer Network
THE Place for Hummer Owners Since 1996
Over 20 years of dedication.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GuidelinesForum Rules   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Rotten
Spotter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Idea Reply with quote

I belong to another forum www.prowleronline.com on this site they have a section called Owners Registry, if a forum member wanted to submit a profile, he/she would include the following info: city, state, country, year of Hummer, type of Hummer/Humvee, color, etc.
There also could be a short cut to the Hall of Hummers section, so anyone could see that individuals ride if they desired.
As for me I'm just curious of fellow H1 owners in my area.
Like I said it's just an idea.
John

Peter's Remote PMD Cooler with Dtech PMD
GT Adjustable Shocks, settings 5F/4R
Toth Console Rack
Scan II Gage
Custom Factory Tan Bikini Top, Summertime
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have something like that, a Who's Who, on the web site. That was a time when no one gave a second thought to being identified as a Hummer owner on the internet. Times have changed.

I looked at the owner registry you mentioned. If I were a crook and thought Prowler owners were good marks, this would give me the information I'd need to plan a burglary. If I wanted to vandalize a Prowler in a given location, I'd be able to find one. Anyone can access this information.

This is why we DON'T do this anymore. We respect our members' privacy and security.

There are user profiles within this forum which are only accessible to registered users. Locations are given on each post by each user IF that user chooses to enter that information in his/her profile. There are also local/regional forums that should get used more than they do. It's a potentially great resource.
Johnny Rotten
Spotter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, thanks for the reply
Toth Console Rack
Scan II Gage
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this again and decided to try an experiment. With no previous experience at this, here's what I did:

Went to the Prowler owners registry and chose a name along with a city and state from the list.

Searched Google for an online white pages and easily found http://whitepages.addresses.com

Searched that for the name and the city and state. BINGO! There's the person's home address and phone number.

It's that easy! I could plug the address into mapquest and get a map to that person's home and driving directions.

Listing owners by name and location might not be a bad idea for many makes, but I would not want to make that kind of information for Hummer owners available online.
Johnny Rotten
Spotter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
I was thinking about this again and decided to try an experiment. With no previous experience at this, here's what I did:

Went to the Prowler owners registry and chose a name along with a city and state from the list.

Searched Google for an online white pages and easily found http://whitepages.addresses.com

Searched that for the name and the city and state. BINGO! There's the person's home address and phone number.

It's that easy! I could plug the address into mapquest and get a map to that person's home and driving directions.

Listing owners by name and location might not be a bad idea for many makes, but I would not want to make that kind of information for Hummer owners available online.

I can do the same thing here on the HNF, there's enough info on many members avatars and signatures to do the same experiment. If I was a hummer hater or a nut case, I could research daily post several HNF members share home phone numbers, cell numbers, home/business address,meeting places and times,etc....It's their choice....
I did the same experiment on myself several years ago, I was really pissed off on how easy it was :x

Toth Console Rack
Scan II Gage
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgoethals wrote:

I can do the same thing here on the HNF, there's enough info on many members avatars and signatures to do the same experiment.

You can because you are a registered user. That's the difference. I've taken steps to make sure the general public does not have access to that information.

Requiring registration makes a big difference. For example, we used to have open classifieds. Anyone could respond to sellers. It got hit a LOT by scammers, who hit all online classifieds. I went to different software which, like Ebay, requires registration in order to contact sellers. The scammers have dropped off to zero.
Johnny Rotten
Spotter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bob"]

Quote:
You can because you are a registered user. That's the difference. I've taken steps to make sure the general public does not have access to that information.

I thought anyone could register, who's to say that the nut cases @ FUH1,2,3.com, register, become a member, then they would have access to the info your trying to protect from the general public.
I understand your points, all I was looking for was fellow H1 owners in my area to share a beer with and maybe have a TNHOG wrenching party, I'm just jealous.
John

Toth Console Rack
Scan II Gage
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgoethals wrote:

I thought anyone could register, who's to say that the nut cases...

This is why I cited the example of the classifieds.

They can register but they can't hide. One has to at least furnish a valid e-mail address, which is confirmed in the process, to register. Those with less than honorable intentions want to be able to hide.

Nothing is 100% secure on the internet, but I have taken steps to ensure that the Hummer Network is as secure as it can be. I have spent considerable time and effort toward that end. I consider it irresponsible to do otherwise.

There are lots "open" forums out there, including some dedicated to Hummers, which have no regard for security. The crooks and the malicious can find all the targets they want there.

Scammers can register for the Marketplace too, but they don't bother. Why should they? There are plenty of "open" online classifieds where they can perpetrate fraud. Putting obstacles in their path is quite effective.

The Hummer Network does care about its members and their security.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: