Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location
|Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:22 pm Post subject: If You Are Having a Problem Staying Logged In
|Full-featured web forums rely on 2-way communication with a user's computer, employing cookies. It needs to know who you are in order to tell you things like the date and time of your last visit, which topics contain new messages since your last visit, which messages you've read and which you haven't, etc. Cookies are necessary for the auto log-in feature to work. If you are continually asked to log in, the forum isn't recognizing you.
If you seem to log in correctly but are then asked to log in repeatedly: This usually indicates a problem with cookies. Please make sure your browser will accept cookies and/or that any firewall you may be using isn't blocking cookies.
If your browser blocks forum cookies, the auto-login feature will not work.
Checking cookies in Internet Explorer:
1. Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy
2. Make sure you are set no higher than 'medium'.
3. If that doesn't work, go back to the Privacy tab as above and then click Edit and then enter: "http://www.hummernetworkforums.com" into the blank and then click 'Allow'.
Checking cookies in Mozilla Firefox:
1. Go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy
2. Expand 'cookies' and make sure 'Allow sites to set cookies' is checked.
For the Mac version:
1. Go to Firefox/Preferences
2. Click on the "Privacy" icon
3. Make sure the boxes are checked next to "Accept cookies from sites"
iPad and iPhone users: Go to Settings and find Safari in the column on the left. Under "Block Cookies", make sure it's not set to "Always".
If that's not it, make sure you are not using "private browsing". Tap the + sign in the upper right corner of Safari. Then click on "Private" in the lower left corner. If it's on, you'll get the option to turn it off. If it's off, you'll get the option to turn it on. If private viewing is on, the auto log-in feature of the forum will not work. See also:
AOL Users: You may have a problem staying logged in if you are using the web browser that's built into AOL. While most do not have such a problem, a very few have. It's such a rare problem that the exact cause has never been tracked down. If you are using the AOL web browser, are having a problem staying logged in, and the procedure for checking cookies below does not solve it, you should use Internet Explorer or Firefox instead.
Checking cookies in AOL:
1. On the AOL toolbar, click Settings.
2. Under Essentials, click 'Internet [Web] Options'.
3. Under 'Related Settings' click 'Internet Explorer settings'.
4. Click the Privacy tab.
5. Make sure you are set no higher than 'medium'.
6. If that doesn't work, go back to the Privacy tab as above and then click Edit and then enter: "http://www.hummernetworkforums.com" into the blank and then click 'Allow'.
If you have recently changed or upgraded your web browser:
Your cookie settings may have been re-set in the process. See the procedures above to check your cookie settings.
If none of the above works, you can try:
1. Check the box that says "Log me on automatically each visit" on the log-in form.
2. Looking at the settings of your firewall. Firewalls CAN block cookies, even if your browser cookie settings are OK.
3. Logging in with your userID and password from another computer. If this works, it confirms the problem is something on your computer.
4. Updating your web browser if you're using an old, outdated version. The Hummer Network recommends Mozilla Firefox (www.mozilla.com). A very few have had problems using the web browser built into AOL. We do not know the exact nature of this rare problem, but if you have problems using the AOL browser, try using Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox instead.
5. Contacting tech support for your ISP or find a computer "guru" to help diagnose the problem on your computer. The forum admin cannot diagnose your computer.
Note that if you access the forum from more than one computer, you may need to log out using one before logging in using the other.
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Hummer Network Custom Edition, © 2006-2013
No material from this forum may be reprinted or republished in any form without permission. See full disclaimer.