The HUMMER Network
Home of the famous HML

Hummer Marketplace | Hummer Knowledge Base
Donate | HumveeLife | FB | Mailing List
Hummer Calendar | YouTube Channel

The Hummer Network
THE Place for Hummer Owners Since 1996
Over 20 years of dedication.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GuidelinesForum Rules   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forums not being correctly moderated?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
axemann
Lead Driver


Joined: 27 Jul 2005
Posts: 3723

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Forums not being correctly moderated? Reply with quote

I just want to know why this forum is not moderated as actively, sometimes I wonder if at all; In the same way that most forums are, in that they are kept on topic.

Over the past few months I've consistently seen people post topics which are completely unrelated to the Hummer in any way shape or form, we do have sub sections, such as "other topics" for this purpose, yet people are not reminded of this and topics are not moved.

We have some users (namely one) who does not need a mention who is constantly posting non related forum topics and misguiding information.

In the 7 odd years that I've been a member here, I can only recall one occasion recently where action was taken against this person who in the scheme of things is doing more damage over all, than what one person did by posting a sexually explicit image which while it did break forum policy, could have been dealt with in a consistent nature to the other user who also posts gore related explicit images and offensive content particularly in relation to American soldiers fighting over sea's.

Is there any reason why more long serving forum members cannot administrate the forum to assist in alleviating some of the pressure off people like Bob, who I'm sure has other interests outside of Hummers?

Can we see the introduction of a "promotional page", where business owners can boost their product without distracting from the technical discussion related to Hummers?

Can we see a change in the way the forum is moderated so posts are kept on topic?

For example on the front page of the H1 forum alone we have thread topics such as:

How many tickets have you got while driving your Hummer.

Urgent help needed for dog transport.

What other cars do you own -pic thread.

(this is a perfect example of the forum not being moderated correctly as there is an "other rides" section on the forum previously dedicated to this topic as it has been a problem in the past)

Help with Dodge.

I just feel that over the last few years there has been a decline in forum moderation which reflects overall on the forum as a whole, being a Hummer forum.

When based on first page observations, it is clearly more so a messy "post anything" related forum, which is proving frustrating to some users who may not have felt the previous need to mention it formally.

_________________
96 Turbo Wagon - Green
P400 w/Allison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hummer Network
Since 1996


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 8705
Location: Location, Location

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Forums not being correctly moderated? Reply with quote

axemann wrote:
I just want to know why this forum is not moderated as actively, sometimes I wonder if at all; In the same way that most forums are, in that they are kept on topic.

Over the past few months I've consistently seen people post topics which are completely unrelated to the Hummer in any way shape or form, we do have sub sections, such as "other topics" for this purpose, yet people are not reminded of this and topics are not moved.


If you do not notice things being moved, that does not mean nothing is being moved. For example, this is the first time in a long time that someone has posted a forum-related question here instead of the H1 forum. Look through the last several topics here and you'll see many instance of me telling people there's a forum-related questions forum. Lots of things get moved to the off-topic forum as well. These things tend to happen about 12 hours offset from your Australian time, so you just don't notice it.

axemann wrote:
We have some users (namely one) who does not need a mention who is constantly posting non related forum topics and misguiding information.

In the 7 odd years that I've been a member here, I can only recall one occasion recently where action was taken against this person who in the scheme of things is doing more damage over all, than what one person did by posting a sexually explicit image which while it did break forum policy, could have been dealt with in a consistent nature to the other user who also posts gore related explicit images and offensive content particularly in relation to American soldiers fighting over sea's.


That particular user has been on indefinite "time out" since Aug. 5. You must not have noticed the absence.

axemann wrote:
Is there any reason why more long serving forum members cannot administrate the forum to assist in alleviating some of the pressure off people like Bob, who I'm sure has other interests outside of Hummers?

Can we see the introduction of a "promotional page", where business owners can boost their product without distracting from the technical discussion related to Hummers?


There was an "Advertiser Forum" for a few years. It was a total flop. No one made use of it, so it was eventually removed.

axemann wrote:
Can we see a change in the way the forum is moderated so posts are kept on topic?

For example on the front page of the H1 forum alone we have thread topics such as:

How many tickets have you got while driving your Hummer.


How is that not about Hummers?

axemann wrote:
Urgent help needed for dog transport.


People here tend to help one another out. That is a good thing.

axemann wrote:
What other cars do you own -pic thread.

(this is a perfect example of the forum not being moderated correctly as there is an "other rides" section on the forum previously dedicated to this topic as it has been a problem in the past)



Look at that topic and see the 2 reminders about the "Other Rides" forum and notice that the topic has been locked. It will be moved shortly.

axemann wrote:
Help with Dodge.


About a Cummins engine of a type sometimes put into Hummers. It wasn't specified if it was about a Hummer or a Dodge. Members deserve the benefit of the doubt.

axemann wrote:
I just feel that over the last few years there has been a decline in forum moderation which reflects overall on the forum as a whole, being a Hummer forum.

When based on first page observations, it is clearly more so a messy "post anything" related forum, which is proving frustrating to some users who may not have felt the previous need to mention it formally.


Some people favor stricter moderation and some people prefer far less. It's a very fine line to walk and it's impossible to please everyone. The philosophy here has always been "as hands off as possible". It's important that users can feel free to post here without fear of retribution. This seems to have worked well, considering over 17 very successful years of the HML. The best thing I can do is to stay out of the way.

There's always been good people on the HML, including you. There's really never been a need for strict rules and enforcement. That is also a good thing.

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
97hmcs
Spotter


Joined: 14 May 2003
Posts: 797
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob for all you do (past & present) to maintain the best forum available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
axemann
Lead Driver


Joined: 27 Jul 2005
Posts: 3723

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Forums not being correctly moderated? Reply with quote

axemann wrote:
I just want to know why this forum is not moderated as actively, sometimes I wonder if at all; In the same way that most forums are, in that they are kept on topic.

Over the past few months I've consistently seen people post topics which are completely unrelated to the Hummer in any way shape or form, we do have sub sections, such as "other topics" for this purpose, yet people are not reminded of this and topics are not moved.


Bob wrote:

If you do not notice things being moved, that does not mean nothing is being moved. For example, this is the first time in a long time that someone has posted a forum-related question here instead of the H1 forum. Look through the last several topics here and you'll see many instance of me telling people there's a forum-related questions forum. Lots of things get moved to the off-topic forum as well. These things tend to happen about 12 hours offset from your Australian time, so you just don't notice it.


Fair call.

axemann wrote:
We have some users (namely one) who does not need a mention who is constantly posting non related forum topics and misguiding information.

In the 7 odd years that I've been a member here, I can only recall one occasion recently where action was taken against this person who in the scheme of things is doing more damage over all, than what one person did by posting a sexually explicit image which while it did break forum policy, could have been dealt with in a consistent nature to the other user who also posts gore related explicit images and offensive content particularly in relation to American soldiers fighting over sea's.



Bob wrote:
That particular user has been on indefinite "time out" since Aug. 5. You must not have noticed the absence.


No, I didn't... I must admit that this is a good thing.

axemann wrote:
Is there any reason why more long serving forum members cannot administrate the forum to assist in alleviating some of the pressure off people like Bob, who I'm sure has other interests outside of Hummers?

Can we see the introduction of a "promotional page", where business owners can boost their product without distracting from the technical discussion related to Hummers?


There was an "Advertiser Forum" for a few years. It was a total flop. No one made use of it, so it was eventually removed.

axemann wrote:
Can we see a change in the way the forum is moderated so posts are kept on topic?

For example on the front page of the H1 forum alone we have thread topics such as:

How many tickets have you got while driving your Hummer.


Bob wrote:

How is that not about Hummers?


I accept that this is about Hummers, however people get tickets because they're and idiot, or have done something wrong, no matter what they drive.

I mentioned this in the heat of the moment but agree that it relates to idiots in Hummers instead Laughing

axemann wrote:
Urgent help needed for dog transport.


Bob wrote:
People here tend to help one another out. That is a good thing.


How is this about Hummers?

axemann wrote:
What other cars do you own -pic thread.

(this is a perfect example of the forum not being moderated correctly as there is an "other rides" section on the forum previously dedicated to this topic as it has been a problem in the past)



Look at that topic and see the 2 reminders about the "Other Rides" forum and notice that the topic has been locked. It will be moved shortly.

Ok, point taken.

axemann wrote:
Help with Dodge.



Bob wrote:
About a Cummins engine of a type sometimes put into Hummers. It wasn't specified if it was about a Hummer or a Dodge. Members deserve the benefit of the doubt.



Fair enough.

axemann wrote:
I just feel that over the last few years there has been a decline in forum moderation which reflects overall on the forum as a whole, being a Hummer forum.

When based on first page observations, it is clearly more so a messy "post anything" related forum, which is proving frustrating to some users who may not have felt the previous need to mention it formally.


Bob wrote:

Some people favor stricter moderation and some people prefer far less. It's a very fine line to walk and it's impossible to please everyone. The philosophy here has always been "as hands off as possible". It's important that users can feel free to post here without fear of retribution. This seems to have worked well, considering over 17 very successful years of the HML.


Point taken.

Bob wrote:

There's always been good people on the HML, including you. There's really never been a need for strict rules and enforcement. That is also a good thing.

Thanks.


No thank you for clearing this up Wink

_________________
96 Turbo Wagon - Green
P400 w/Allison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Hummer Network Custom Edition, © 2006-2013
No material from this forum may be reprinted or republished in any form without permission. See full disclaimer.