Chrome users: This site IS secure!


The HUMMER Network Forums
Home of the famous HML

Hummer Marketplace | Hummer Knowledge Base
Donate | FB | Hummer Calendar | YouTube Channel

The Hummer Network
THE Place for Hummer Owners Since 1996
Over 20 years of dedication.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GuidelinesForum Rules   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adverts and Java Scripts?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nehog
Moderator


Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 18739
Location: Jaffrey, New Hampshire - USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Adverts and Java Scripts? Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that there are more and more advertisements with Java scripted effects that are consuming substantial computer/CPU resources? I use Firefox, and have many tabs open at a time. I'll find that all of a sudden that Firefox becomes very non-responsive. I check with Task Manager and then see that Firefox is using 100% of its CPU (this is a multi-CPU platform I'm using).

I played around and discovered that always there would be one tab that if I closed it, the problem would go away. Often times it was either a local newspaper (heavy adverts), a web site that I use and keep open (one advert, but changing frequently) and the HML... It seems that some advertisements are taking for granted that a user's CPU (computer) is solely for their use!

On one hand I suppose I could disable scripting totally, but that would break a few sites that I use, so as a solution it is not best. I also suppose I could start using a plug-in that blocks known advertiser sites.

Anyone else see this type of problem and what solutions have you implemented (with respect to Firefox...)?

Personally, I *hate* Java/Javascript, but to do the things I do here, it is necessary (can't print shipping labels without it, for example...)

_________________
My name is Peter, and I'm never going to grow up.

Always quote part of the post you are replying to! Your signature should have your Hummer's model, year, engine and significant modifications!

http://www.peterhipson.com (Down for now)

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95) *sold*
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99) *sold*
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40
Volvo S80
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hummer Network
Since 1996


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 8751
Location: Location, Location

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds more like a general web-surfing/computer/browser question and not one specifically about the use of this particular forum. It might be better asked in the Off-Topic forum. This one is mainly for me to answer questions that people have about using this forum.

The Hummer Network does not, and NEVER has, accepted any advertising that uses either Java or Flash. The banner advertising is .jpg or .gif only. Animated .gifs are accepted, but won't overload your CPU. There are Google footer ads which may or may not use Java. I have no control over that, but if one does it is only one and should not overload your CPU.

I am no fan of Java or Flash. I do not like to include anything that depends on a user's computer to download and run a program in order to access or use any Hummer Network site. I will not exclude people based on the software they wish to run, or not to run, on their own computers. I do use a limited amount of javascript, but only in cases where the function will still work if someone has javascript turned off. The forum software also uses some javascript, but no Java or Flash.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nehog
Moderator


Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 18739
Location: Jaffrey, New Hampshire - USA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
This sounds more like a general web-surfing/computer/browser question and not one specifically about the use of this particular forum. It might be better asked in the Off-Topic forum. This one is mainly for me to answer questions that people have about using this forum.

The Hummer Network does not, and NEVER has, accepted any advertising that uses either Java or Flash. The banner advertising is .jpg or .gif only. Animated .gifs are accepted, but won't overload your CPU. There are Google footer ads which may or may not use Java. I have no control over that, but if one does it is only one and should not overload your CPU.

I am no fan of Java or Flash. I do not like to include anything that depends on a user's computer to download and run a program in order to access or use any Hummer Network site. I will not exclude people based on the software they wish to run, or not to run, on their own computers. I do use a limited amount of javascript, but only in cases where the function will still work if someone has javascript turned off. The forum software also uses some javascript, but no Java or Flash.


I debated where to post, but figured this was the best of the two.

I'm still playing with things trying to figure out what is going on. I know that it is ad related, and that closing some tabs (based on what I've learned, I close the paper's page first, the work on a few of the others) always clears it up.

I've got to go check Firefox extensions/plug-ins. I'm sure there is something to block ads.

_________________
My name is Peter, and I'm never going to grow up.

Always quote part of the post you are replying to! Your signature should have your Hummer's model, year, engine and significant modifications!

http://www.peterhipson.com (Down for now)

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95) *sold*
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99) *sold*
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40
Volvo S80
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hummer Network
Since 1996


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 8751
Location: Location, Location

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to make is that it is highly unlikely, if not impossible, that this forum is the source of your problem. In fact, I just did an adjustment of the Google ads yesterday which should make them more Hummer-related, so there shouldn't be any more generic-type ads. Those are the ones that looked like Java or Flash to me. Look at the Google ad in the footer. It should be a text-based ad. That's what I'm seeing now.

Firefox has a support forum here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-.....ite+Forums

You can ask a Firefox-related question here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Ask+a+question

There's also a live chat option.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hummer Network
Since 1996


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 8751
Location: Location, Location

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last 2 times I've accessed a certain site with Java content, which I've accessed many times before, the applet didn't want to fully load. The first time, I kept trying to stop and re-load, but it still wouldn't load completely. I finally shut Firefox down and re-started it, then the site loaded just fine, as it should. I just accessed that site again and the applet didn't want to fully load again, so I just quit and re-started Firefox and, again, it loaded normally afterward.

I really don't know, but I wonder if there's a problem with the way Firefox handles Java. It does seem like something within Firefox isn't always cooperating.

I'm using the Mac version of Firefox. I don't know whether or not that might make a difference. I always install all updates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nehog
Moderator


Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 18739
Location: Jaffrey, New Hampshire - USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
The last 2 times I've accessed a certain site with Java content, which I've accessed many times before, the applet didn't want to fully load. The first time, I kept trying to stop and re-load, but it still wouldn't load completely. I finally shut Firefox down and re-started it, then the site loaded just fine, as it should. I just accessed that site again and the applet didn't want to fully load again, so I just quit and re-started Firefox and, again, it loaded normally afterward.

I really don't know, but I wonder if there's a problem with the way Firefox handles Java. It does seem like something within Firefox isn't always cooperating.

I'm using the Mac version of Firefox. I don't know whether or not that might make a difference. I always install all updates.


There is no question in my mind that there are some Java vs. Firefox issues. I find that I can't print foreign shipping labels from Firefox (using PayPal) for some reason. It just hangs. Start up IE and it works fine.

I tend to blame Java for the mess (but can't justify that blame!)

_________________
My name is Peter, and I'm never going to grow up.

Always quote part of the post you are replying to! Your signature should have your Hummer's model, year, engine and significant modifications!

http://www.peterhipson.com (Down for now)

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95) *sold*
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99) *sold*
Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40
Volvo S80
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hummer Network
Since 1996


Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 8751
Location: Location, Location

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nehog wrote:
There is no question in my mind that there are some Java vs. Firefox issues. I find that I can't print foreign shipping labels from Firefox (using PayPal) for some reason. It just hangs. Start up IE and it works fine.

I tend to blame Java for the mess (but can't justify that blame!)


Yes, since you brought this up, I've been noticing it more and more. One day I had difficulty printing a postage-paid shipping label using the USPS Click N Ship which uses javascript to call the apps. I finally quit Firefox and re-started it, then I was able to print the label with ease.

Let's hope the Mozilla people figure out the bug and fix it for a future release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OO
Lead Driver


Joined: 14 May 2003
Posts: 4404
Location: Vermillion, SD - USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are going Adobe, Flash, and JS crazy. The fan on my 5+ year old P4 laptop goes crazy on alot of these sites.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Hummer Network Custom Edition, © 2006-2013
No material from this forum may be reprinted or republished in any form without permission. See full disclaimer.