The HUMMER Network
Home of the famous HML

Hummer Marketplace | Hummer Knowledge Base
Donate | FB | Hummer Calendar | YouTube Channel

The Hummer Network
THE Place for Hummer Owners Since 1996
Over 20 years of dedication.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GuidelinesForum Rules   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SpellingCow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gulf1
Cranky Old Fart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: SpellingCow Reply with quote

You're probably aware, but SpellingCow doesn't seem to to have been working for the last few days, at least not for me.
Seemed to coincide with the new server going online, though I could be wrong.
I would have attached a screenshot of the SCow error message but for some reason I only have the option to add a poll. Confused

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably overlooked when setting up the new server. Clark is currently traveling, and it's a holiday weekend, so this will get fixed when possible.

Thanks for letting us know.

The reason I didn't notice this is because I don't use it. Firefox has a built in spellchecker that's more convenient to use. Until we can re-install Spelling Cow, you could try using Firefox.
Gulf1
Cranky Old Fart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but it's not a big deal.
My spelling is pretty good but I'm not immune from finger trouble, which is what I find it most useful for.

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulf1 wrote:
Thanks, but it's not a big deal.
My spelling is pretty good but I'm not immune from finger trouble, which is what I find it most useful for.

That's where I find Firefox better. It spell-checks as you type. It will underline, in red, any misspelled words. Then you just right-click on the word for options, including adding it to the dictionary. I don't know offhand if IE has added spell checking. I'll have to fire up the PC later (this iMac really has me spoiled...the PC seems to take FOREVER to boot up!) and try it.
angry with computer

Thanks.
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, IE7 does not have spell checking built in. There is an add-on, but it requres IE8 beta 2:

http://www.ieaddons.com/en/det.....s/ieSpell/
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it back! IEspell is available for IE 5 and higher:

http://www.iespell.com/

It's free for personal use, so ignore the parts about pricing and buying. That's only for commercial use.

There's also a spell checker built into the Google Toolbar:

http://toolbar.google.com

It works with IE or Firefox. You'll be taken to the page appropriate for the browser you use when you go to the URL above. Very simple to download and install. I have personally tested it on the forum with IE 7 and it works!

We'll still re-install Spelling Cow when time permits, but these user-side spell checkers have some advantages. I especially like the way the one built into Firefox works. No need to click on any buttons, it spell checks as you type anything into any online form, including the text boxes for posting to the forum.
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the problem turned out to be on Spelling Cow's end. In the process of investigating, I found there's a new style of Spelling Cow that spell checks as you type. It works very nicely.

Just below the text box where you enter your message text, there will be a check box called "Spell Check" which will be checked by default. If you misspell a word, it will be highlighted in yellow. Left-click on the misspelled word for possible corrections. Uncheck the box if you want to turn spell checking off. If you choose "ignore" from the options list, it's like adding it to a dictionary. It won't appear as a misspelled word thereafter.

This works MUCH better than it did before!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: