Chrome users: This site IS secure!

The HUMMER Network
Home of the famous HML

Hummer Marketplace | Hummer Knowledge Base
Donate | FB | Hummer Calendar | YouTube Channel

The Hummer Network
THE Place for Hummer Owners Since 1996
Over 20 years of dedication.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GuidelinesForum Rules   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

proble when searching the forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhr900ss
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: proble when searching the forum Reply with quote

when I perform a search all goes well - I can find relevant searches and pick one to read but if I try to go back to the search list I get a session timed-out window and have to go back to the Forum and search again from new. What am I doing wrong?
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: proble when searching the forum Reply with quote

crebbin wrote:
when I perform a search all goes well - I can find relevant searches and pick one to read but if I try to go back to the search list I get a session timed-out window and have to go back to the Forum and search again from new. What am I doing wrong?

I honestly don't know, but I'll look into it. Perhaps there's a session time-out value that can be adjusted. I'll let you know.

Thanks.
KevinRobinson123
Co-Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

Bob,

I'm having the same time-out issue when searching. Glad I wasn't the only one. I see this same type of error when trying to use the Back button on secure bank websites or when paying for something online with a credit card and trying to hit the Back button. It just seems like the security is ramped up too high on the search results page... hope that helps.

Awesome forum, by the way. Thanks...

1992 M923a2 Cargo Truck

1978 M813A1 Cargo Truck (sold)
1995 Dodge Ram 3500 flatbed
'97 H1 6.5L TD Wagon... sold
'95 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L sold (engine blew)
KevinRobinson123
Co-Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: another thought Reply with quote

Bob,

When you get a list of search results and click on a thread, can you open a new browser window for that one thread so the search results always stay in their original window? So, when you are finished reading a thread, you just close the window and the search results are still there and do not have to do a rebuild for the search. Does that make sense? That's how the phpBB search result windows function.

1992 M923a2 Cargo Truck

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back button should work properly to go from a topic back to the search results. I just tried it and it works just fine for me. It has nothing to do with security.

You may be using search criteria that is too vague and is producing too many results. The archives are vast. Try narrowing your search.

Last edited by Hummer Network on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:45 am; edited 4 times in total
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: another thought Reply with quote

KevinRobinson123 wrote:
Bob,

When you get a list of search results and click on a thread, can you open a new browser window for that one thread so the search results always stay in their original window? So, when you are finished reading a thread, you just close the window and the search results are still there and do not have to do a rebuild for the search. Does that make sense? That's how the phpBB search result windows function.

The search function of this forum operates like any phpBB based forum. To have it open in a new window or tab. right-click on the link and you will get such an option.
KevinRobinson123
Co-Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right-click works well. I'll use that.

I have a feeling that others are experiencing the same expired/time-out issue. If you Search on cepek rims studs and click on Search For All Terms, you will get 8 matches. If I click on any match and then try to hit the Back button, I get the time-out error. A button to get me back to the search results would also work. I'd attach a photo of the error message but the insert image tools are not on this form. I'll try to email it to you. Thanks.

1992 M923a2 Cargo Truck

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinRobinson123 wrote:
If you Search on cepek rims studs and click on Search For All Terms, you will get 8 matches. If I click on any match and then try to hit the Back button, I get the time-out error.

I tried exactly that and it works fine for me. There is no technical problem on this end, at least none that I can reproduce. I will run this by the IT guy.
KevinRobinson123
Co-Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for checking it out. I like the right-click approach with a new window. -Kevin

1992 M923a2 Cargo Truck

OO
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the Page Has Expired message too. IE 6 and XP here.

A shorter way of right clicking is to press the Shift button and Left Click at the same time
Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to recreate this problem, but only when using Internet Explorer. It does not happen when using Firefox. So it must be browser-related. I haven't yet been in touch with the IT guy, so I'll see what he says when I do run this by him.

In the meantime, anyone experiencing this might consider trying Firefox:

http://www.mozilla.com

It's a LOT safer than IE anyway. It's not so different from IE in appearance and functionality that there's much of a learning curve involved. It's free.
KevinRobinson123
Co-Driver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Firefox is a good browser.

Here's the official Microsoft acknowledgement of the problem and a good description of it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319792

But, they say it was fixed in IE 6 service pack 1. I'm running service pack 2 so maybe it got unfixed. I'll run my Windows Update and see if it fixes the issue. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319792

1992 M923a2 Cargo Truck

Hummer Network
Since 1996

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the latest version of IE with XP SP2. It looks like MS hasn't fixed it. I doubt there's anything we can do on our end, but I will still look into it.

Thanks.
KevinRobinson123
Co-Driver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to IE7 and had the same problem. This is why it's so easy to dislike Bill Gates. IE7 recommends the following as a fix, but it didn't help: "If you continue to have this problem, try the following:

In Internet Explorer, click Tools, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
Scroll down and uncheck the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" option in the Security settings. "

The Shift-Click solution is great. I just open a bunch of windows from the search results and then close each window when I'm done reading. Thanks for the work-around. -Kevin

1992 M923a2 Cargo Truck

OO
Lead Driver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have IE 7 you can also middle click the mouse scroll wheel to open a new tab.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hummer Network Index -> Forum-Related Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: